Walkersele® D8 joins our range of radial lip seals following extensive testing on our dynamic test rigs, combined with over 12 months of sea trials on working vessels to prove its trouble-free operational life, plus on-shore duties in heavy industrial environments.
This seal has been developed to withstand higher operational pressures than our popular Walkersele® D6 design. It also incorporates new lip geometry that provides greater flexibility and lower lip loading than our Walkersele® D7 design, to accommodate shaft eccentricity.
The robust design of the Walkersele® D8 lip has been validated on marine applications where typical operating conditions have included vibration and shock loads.
- Marine propulsion units.
- Azimuth thrusters and large diameter swivel units.
- Stern gland seals.
- Flooded gearboxes.
- Process equipment - on-shore as well as offshore and marine.
- NM74/80+GHN/KC300 is recommended for Walkersele® D8 marine applications in housings with retaining plates. This seal has a flexible back of aramid/glass fabric proofed with nitrile rubber (NBR). The lip is nitrile rubber.
- Walkersele® M1/D8 for housings with retaining plates. This seal has a flexible back of cotton fabric proofed with nitrile rubber (NBR). The lip is nitrile rubber.
- Walkersele® M6/D8 is a self-retaining seal for open housings. This seal is moulded in nitrile rubber (NBR) with a steel band located in its back. A retaining plate is needed to support the lip heel when the seal faces inboard.
- Walkersele® M8/D8 is a self retaining seal for open housings. This seal is moulded in fluoroelastomer (FKM) with a steel band located in its back. A retaining plate is needed to support the lip heel when the seal faces inboard.
- Walkersele® M9/D8 for housings with retaining plates. This seal has a flexible back of aramid/glass fabric proofed with fluoroelastomer (FKM). The lip is fluoroelastomer.
- Range of Elast-O-Lion®-based (HNBR) materials for housings with retaining plates. These Walkersele® D8 seals typically have a flexible back of aramid/glass fabric proofed with hydrogenated nitrile rubber (HNBR), and a lip of hydrogenated nitrile. Material grade is selected to suit specific applications and working conditions.
Pressure differential (maximum): 150kPa/1.5bar (21.75psi). Base of the seal must be fully supported for pressures greater than 20kPa/0.2bar (3psi).
Shaft eccentricity accommodated (typical maximum): 3.0mm TIR - dependent on shaft diameter and speed.
Rotary shaft speeds (typical maximum):
- NM74/80+GHN/KC300 and Walkersele® M1/D8: 15m/s (2953fpm).
- Walkersele® M6/D8: 12m/s (2362fpm).
- Walkersele® M8/D8: 20m/s (3937fpm).
- Walkersele® M9/D8: 25m/s (4922fpm).
- Elast-O-Lion®: 15m/s (2953fpm), dependent on material grade.
As Walkersele® OSJ-2, for On-Site Joining with our patented technique in: NM74/80+GHN/KC300; Walkersele® M1/D8, Walkersele® M6/D8 and Elast-O-Lion® materials.
As Walkersele® SpringSafe in Walkersele® M1/D8, Walkersele® M6/D8 and Elast-O-Lion® materials, with lip-energising spring intimately cured into its groove.
Also in normal endless form in all quoted materials. Cartridge seals can be custom-designed and manufactured,
Please refer to our Walkersele® Radial Lip Seals brochure for sizing guidelines and surface finish requirements.
Click here to download the Walkersele® Radial Lip Seals guide.