Walkersele® OSJ is James Walker's highly successful technique for the On-Site Joining of split-type Walkersele radial lip seals.
For many years, on-site vulcanising was the only answer to split-seal assemblies where leakage was unacceptable. But this process could prove expensive, as it needed a high level of skill and elaborate jigs. So we developed Walkersele® OSJ.
Since the introduction of Walkersele® OSJ in 1992, rotary seal replacement has come 'full circle' to form a full circle again.
After a few hours of hands-on training, a maintenance fitter is able to produce a securely bonded seal that provides a split Walkersele® with the integrity of a fully moulded endless seal.
The many benefits of Walkersele® OSJ include:
- High performance - installed units provide the sealing performance of high-integrity endless Walkerseles.
- Wordwide proven - on marine propulsion systems, gearboxes, wind turbines, power stations, rolling mills, sugar refineries, etc...
- Cost effective maintenance - the performance and integrity of an endless-type seal is achieved without major plant strip-down and without exspensive on-site vulcanising.
In consultation with longterm OSJ® customers, we have modified the seal joint design and the installation kit to make it easier and more efficient to use under arduous maintenance conditions.
The latest Walkersele® OSJ-2 now offers:
- New improved joining design.
- Precision 'twin-peg' locating system.
- Easier to handle.
- Stronger hold.
- Redesigned jig to provide a more positive location of seal joint.
- Improved temperature indicator.
Your on-site joining kit
Every Walkersele® OSJ-2 kit contains the following:
- The correct Walkersele® as specified. This seal is specially adapted at joint interface for OSJ® installation.
- Steel clamping band.
- Joining jig - precision moulded in synthetic elastomer.
- Nut-driver to adjust clamping band.
- Temperature indicator with self-adhesive backing.
- Two-part epoxy adhesive in sachet. This adhesive cures to semi-rigid state. (Note: hot air gun is needed to cure this adhesive).
- Degreasing cloth, abrasive stick, adhesive applicator brush, and emery paper with self-adhesive backing.
- Full step-by-step instructions.
Stage 1: Apply epoxy adhesive to joint faces of Walkersele® OSJ.
Stage 2: Align joint in moulded jig.
Stage 3: Clamp into position with steel band.
Stage 4: Cure epoxy adhesive with hot air gun.
Profiles: Walkersele® OSJ-2 is supplied in all Walkersele® designs that incorporate seal backs moulded from rubberised fabric. These are Walkerseles D6, D6/DL, D7, D8, D5, D1 and D1/DL.
Materials: Walkersele® OSJ-2 is supplied in three elastomer types: nitrile (NBR); hydrogenated nitrile (HNBR) including our reformulated-HNBR grades; and fluorocarbon (FKM).
Temperature limit: This is dependent on the seal material. However, it should be noted that the bonding technique imposes an upper limit of 150°C on the seal.
Sizes: Seals are readily supplied for shaft diameters from 60mm to 1000mm. When considering diameters outside this range, please contact our Technical Services Team for advice.
Performance envelope: Please discuss exact details of media compatibility, pressure, temperature and surface speed with our Technical Services Team, before placing an order, if you need further guidance.
Successful application of our Walkersele® OSJ technique relies on careful adherence to all stages of the joining procedure - as laid down in the full fitting instructions supplied with each kit.
We recommend that first-time users attend one of our hands-on training sessions that can be carried out at your premises or one of our sites. For details, please contact our Technical Services Team, or your local James Walker distributor.