Walkersele® D8 joined our range of radial lip seals following extensive sea trials on working vessels to prove its trouble-free operational life, backed by in-house dynamic testing to extreme levels. It is also recommended for industrial duties where pressure is slightly higher than our Walkersele® D6 can accommodate, but lip flexibility is needed to follow the eccentricity of a shaft.
- Marine propulsion units.
- Azimuth thrusters and large diameter swivel units.
- Stern gland seals.
- Flooded gearboxes.
- Process equipment - on-shore as well as offshore and marine.
- New lip geometry of D8 withstands higher pressure differentials than our D6 design, with lower lip loading than our D7 design.
- Operates at up to 150kPa pressure differential. The base of the seal must be supported for pressures greater than 20kPa.
- Accommodates shaft eccentricity of 3.0mm TIR (typical maximum) dependent on shaft diameter and speed. Note that a modified retaining plate and/or lip support plate may be needed when shaft eccentricty occurs: please consult our Technical Support Team.
- The robust design of the Walkersele® D8 lip has been validated on marine applications where typical operating conditions have included vibration and shock loads.
- Fabric-backed (retained) versions can be supplied as split-types and as Walkersele® OSJ-2 for On-Site Joining.
- We recommend that D8 be manufactured in our M11 nitrile-based material for marine duties. This material is resistant to marine industry media, and is suitable for housings with retaining plates.
Pressure differential (maximum): 150kPa/1.5bar (21.75psi). Base of the seal must be fully supported for pressures greater than 20kPa/0.2bar (3psi).
Shaft eccentricity accommodated (typical maximum): 3.0mm TIR - dependent on shaft diameter and speed.
Rotary shaft speeds (typical maximum):
- Walkersele® M1/D8: 15m/s.
- Walkersele® M9/D8: 25m/s.
- Walkersele® M11/D8: 15m/s.
We are currently building a library of mould tools for D8 sizes. Please contact us for mould availability. If we have a suitable tool, your seal can be supplied on short delivery times. New tools are swiftly made in-house. Cartridge seals can be custom-designed and manufactured.