This is a well tried and tested low-friction, hard-wearing material, based on PTFE. It has been developed especially for use as the dynamic part of composite seal arrangements for piston and rod applications in metallurgical plant.
We recommend this material for composite seals that operate in the most arduous applications in metallurgical plant, typically:
- Automatic gauge control (AGC) cylinders.
- Work roll bending plant.
- Other heavy/critical cylinders.
Fluolion® Xtreme improves composite seal performance to give users high Value-in-Service and savings on Cost-of-Ownership, with improved plant performance, due to:
- Hard-wearing PTFE construction.
- Low coefficient of friction.
- Suitability for piston and rod seals.
- Low pressure response - for full range performance.
- Double and single acting piston designs - with strong or limited guidance systems.
- Range of seal profiles to suit users' most exacting application details - all applications are covered.
Fluolion® Xtreme will normally be the dynamic part of a composite seal arrangement. Therefore seal performance also relates to the properties of the elastomeric energiser. Typical performance of the composite seals are:
- Temperature range with nitrile (NBR) energiser: -25°C to +120°C (-13°F to +248°F).
- Temperature range with fluoroelastomer (FKM) energiser: -15°C to +200°C (+5°F to +392°F).
- Speed (maximum): 5.0m/s (984fpm).
- Pressure (maximum): 40MPa/400bar (5802psi).
(For applications where higher pressure, temperature or speed performance is required, please contact James Walker's Technical Support Team for recommendations.)
Comparison of mechanical properties
Fluolion® Xtreme versus other PTFE-based materials:
Abrasion resistance*: Excellent
Deformation under load (14.2MPa for 24h @ 23°C): 6.5%
Density (specific gravity): 1.89
Elongation (maximum): 180%
Hardness: 63 Shore D
Coefficient of friction (PTFE to steel): 0.05
Bronze-filled PTFE: B60 (60% bronze by weight)
Abrasion resistance*: Very good
Deformation under load (14.2MPa for 24h @ 23°C): 11.1%
Density (specific gravity): 3.8
Elongation (maximum): 160%
Hardness: 69 Shore D
Coefficient of friction (PTFE to steel): 0.08
Glass-filled PTFE: G15 (15% glass by weight)
Abrasion resistance*: Good
Deformation under load (14.2MPa for 24h @ 23°C): 12.1%
Density (specific gravity): 2.21
Elongation (maximum): 300%
Hardness: 62 Shore D
Coefficient of friction (PTFE to steel): 0.1
(Note: the properties of glass-filled PTFE will vary depending on the type of glass used.)
* Abrasion resistance is based on wear rate at room temperature.
Fluolion® Xtreme is normally supplied as the dynamic component of a composite seal arrangement. Please request further information on James Walker's composite seals for metallurgical applications.